Saturday, April 9, 2016

Civilization and Its Discontents by Sigmund Freud Annotations and Why Music Holds Value Part 2

Through my travelings inside Sigmund Freud's mind nothing could be more apparent that he seems to have a distaste for music. 

And out of curiosity I looked into this more and there are other sources that point to this too: [Psychology Today] Why We Love Musicand Freud Despised ItBut I will like to focus on what Sigmund Freud seemed to suggest in Civilization and Its Discontents.

He seemed to point to a limitation in music and while that may be true I go further and suggest that music still has other merits besides ones based on pleasure-seeking.


  • Music can bring humans solace: Whether people realize it or not this is true. When you cry at a favorite song or when you think "this song really moves me". The musician/music artist is reaching your inner you and you feel validated at an experience you yourself have gone through. This can be understood as that musician/music artist as getting you. And no matter how you look at it, it is incredibly important and one of the most pure experiences in the world.
  • The admiration you show a musician or music artist is a validation of another human's exist: I don't think anyone is impervious to the fact that so much in life seems immaterial, but when you actively support a musician you like this shows that you realize their potential as human beings. You are getting music you love while a musician feels happy that his existence means something in the grander scheme of things. 

My only sadness is that I couldn't come up with more reasons to the value of music, because I guess like Sigmund Freud brings up in Civilization and Its Discontents music is truly a mysterious and elusive thing. Why is why conceptualizing it proves difficult. 


You can buy Civilization and Its Discontents off Amazon.com on Digital


Blog Archive

Blog Followers

Disclaimer

Blog Graphics: Pictures aren't owned by me that are found on this blog. Most of them can be found via Google/Bing! images or from author press releases and are in no way used for profit. Credit goes to them entirely.

Reviews: Are not given either positively/negatively based on compensation. Reviews are entirely out of speculative opinion. Put out for readers to ultimately make their decision on a book, movie, and or product. They are honest reviews based on opinion. And ultimately I would never falsify information or exaggerate, given I do not see a benefit in doing so.

Affiliate: The blog is monetized through Amazon's Affiliate Associates Program, The Book Depository's Affiliate Program, YesStyle's Affiliate Program, GoHastings Affiliate Program, and a few other programs best seen through the blog's ads. Every little purchase you make, makes, a huge difference to me as a blogger. Buying through the blog's links gives me a small percentage of commissions. I try exceptionally hard to make the links/ads as unintrusive as possible when viewed on the blog. If they are intrusive, I, do so apologize but still hope you can enjoy the actual written reviews.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...